10 Things That We Need To Stop Doing To Ourselves
Rather we know it or not, we tend to do things that keep us from living our best life. We become an obstacle to ourselves and that only stunts our growth. Listed below are ten things that we need to stop doing so we can make room for the blessings that will come our way once we get out of our own way.
1. Stop Lying to Yourself– One of the most terrible things you could ever do to yourself is lie to yourself. You know the truth of who you are, where you are in your life, and what needs to be done. If you ever want to make a positive change, you are going to have to face yourself in the mirror and get completely raw and open with yourself.
2. Stop Trying To Be Someone You’re Not– You have heard the quote numerous times, “Be yourself because everyone else is taken.” But how many of us actually heed that advice? Trying to pretend to be something or someone you’re not just so “they” will like you is draining. Be yourself and the right people will love you for you.
3. Stop Putting Your Needs to the Side– We are entering into a new era where we have thrown out the word “selfish” and have replaced it with “self-love.” Caring for yourself is imperative. Yes, we are supposed to help others, but we have to be able to help ourselves before we can do that. What good would you be if you can’t fill up someone’s cup because your pitcher is empty?
4. Stop Being Jealous of Others– It is so easy to log onto any social media platform and see “them” living it up. They are either on some lavish getaway or dining at an expensive restaurant and the green-eyed monster rears its’ ugly head. Let me let you in on a little secret: not everything is what it appears to be. They could be posting pictures of those things, but are living in debt way up to their ears. The moment you begin to feel jealous, kill it with gratitude. Start listing the things that you have in your life and be grateful for what you have.
5. Stop Looking to Others to Make You Happy– Happiness and Joy are inside jobs. There is not one person on this Earth who can make everything go right for you and your life, but YOU! That’s too much responsibility for another person to shoulder. Take responsibility for your own happiness.
6. Stop Getting into Relationships Because You Are Afraid of Being Alone– Relationships are supposed to be beautiful and full of growth. When you settle into a relationship because you are afraid of being alone, you cause unnecessary damage to your heart and soul. Fall in love because it is the right time with the right person, not because you are lonely.
7. Stop Blaming Others For Your Situation– One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing an adult blaming everyone else for their problems. At some point in your life, you must begin to hold yourself accountable and take responsibility for your own actions. Stop blaming the President, “The Man,” your parents, your ex, and your manager. Look in the mirror and take responsibility.
8. Stop Holding Onto The Past– The past is gone. We are only left with the memories of it. Let it go. It is never coming back. You are wasting precious energy by looking behind you when your future and everything that matters is in front of you. The best way to move onto the next chapter of your life is to stop re-reading the last one.
9. Stop Surrounding Yourself With Negative People– The Negative Nancy’s and Debbie Downers will only suck the positive life force from your very being. When you are looking to improve yourself and make positive life changes, it is best to get around good company. Find your tribe by putting out good vibes. Your true friends will help to lift you up and will celebrate your success with you.
10. Stop Believing That You’re Not Ready– No one is ever 110% ready to take upon a task that is set before them. If you wait until you think you are ready, you will be waiting forever. I truly believe that when you take that first step in faith, all of the right people and resources will appear to help you make the next step and the step after that. Trust in yourself! Take the risk. Jump and be amazed to find out that you had wings all along. You. Are. Ready!
Categories: Some Real Talk