How to Take Care of Yourself and Love Every Moment of It!
I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival. ~Audre Lorde
I want to begin this post talking about a rule that people have to follow when they board on an airplane. Right before takeoff, Air Flight Attendants will go over the do’s and don’ts of flying. One rule that stuck out to me was the rule of securing your mask before you assist others.
Now, as a mother, I would want to take care of my children first to make sure that they are alright before I do anything. But, as someone explained to me, I now realize why you MUST secure your mask first. The reason is how can you assist someone with their oxygen if you are running out of oxygen yourself? Are you starting to get it? Yes? No? Maybe? Well, allow me to break it down for you.
Women in general are natural caretakers. We do so many things for others and place ourselves on the back-burner. The moment we even attempt to do something for ourselves, people look at us cross-eyed as if we are the most selfish creatures that ever walked the damn planet.
I am here to let you know that it is time that we take care of ourselves FIRST and not last anymore. “What once was the tail is now the head…”
How are we able to fill up someone and cause them to overflow when our pitcher is half full? We will never be able to do it.
This is why we often have a lot of women become bitter and resentful when all they needed to do is learn how to say NO to the wants of others and for once, put their needs first.
Is that wrong for me to tell you to be selfish? Hell to the no, it is not. And to set the record straight right here and right now, it isn’t called being selfish, it is Self-Care.
Say it with me: SELF-CARE. Take care of the self just as you would care for others.
When you take the time to care for the self, then the chances of you “going off” on your child because they spilled milk on the carpet will be slim. Your Husband would probably get more of the cookie because you are well rested and have the energy to “break him off.” The point is, when you take the time to take care of yourself, then helping others won’t seem like a chore.
Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you. ~ Karl Lagerfeld
I want to give you a homework assignment (I hear you: This woman loves to give out homework assignments…Hahaha!) Yes, an assignment. I want you to break out a sheet of paper (maybe even two), your laptop, your iPhone, your iPad, or whatever you have to use and I want you to make out a list of things that bring you joy, not anyone else, just YOU.
And this is the kicker; there are a lot of you out there that will look at that piece of paper like you are a dumb deer caught in headlights. That is just sad.
What brings you joy? What makes you feel that your soul has just been set free and you can’t wait to go do it again? If you seriously have no idea, I will give you some examples of what you can do to care for yourself and please aim to do at least one thing on your list once (or more) a day.
• Take a Milk and Rose Oil bath while sipping a glass of Red Wine (one of my FAVES!!)
• Wear one of your lovely dresses and treat yourself to lunch at an expensive Café
• Sign up for the class that you’ve wanted to take (photography, art, cooking, etc.)
• Go get an hour-long hot stone massage.
• Get a Deluxe Mani and Pedi and show them off
• Go to a hotel bar/restaurant and flirt like a high school girl
• Take a Yoga and Meditation class
• Put on a Sexy Dress and take on a new persona for the night
• Take a Belly Dancing class to unleash your inner sex kitten
• Get a professional picture taken of you in the NUDE *gasp*
• Go to your local bookstore and sit in one of those comfy chairs while reading a book and drinking a cup of hot green tea
• Burn a CD/download of all of your favorite songs and sing along to them
• Go spend the night alone at a cozy Bed & Breakfast and have them cater to you
• Light candles and listen to smooth Jazz
• Pick up your childhood favorite ice cream treat and eat it slowly
• Watch old Saturday morning cartoons that you loved as a kid while eating cereal in bed
• Treat yourself to a facial
• Go see a matinée by yourself
• Go to a park and see how high you can swing
• Save up some cash and buy yourself some silk pajamas
• Go to a fancy car dealership, dressed to the nines, and test drive your dream car.
• Have the women at the cosmetic counters give you a complimentary makeover
• Have a few friends over and have a vent fest complete with wine, cheese, and grapes
If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!
Well, there you have it. Self Care is extremely important and do not let anyone tell you otherwise! Instead of becoming bitter and fed up with life, take time to take care of YOU!
Categories: Some Real Talk