How to Add More LIFE to Your Life!
“Start living now. Stop saving the good china for that special occasion. Stop withholding your love until that special person materializes. Every day you are alive is a special occasion. Every minute, every breath, is a gift from God.”~Mary Manin Morrissey
If I were to ask you right now if you are really living your life, what would your answer be? I mean, truly LIVING?
If our desire is to start living the life that our souls are craving, then it is time that we add more LIFE to our lives.
Life is out there waiting for you to enjoy it. It’s waiting for you to kick up your heels and dance to the song of your soul. It is time for us to become the person that we have longed to be and live life on OUR terms and need no approval or permission from anyone.
So, how do we add more LIFE to our lives? It’s all about simplicity!
I love to people watch and one of the things I observe nowadays is that we have forgotten how to slow down and disconnect from technology and reconnect with ourselves and with others!
So, Renee, tell me…Just how can we add more LIFE to our Lives? I am so glad that you asked.
1. Realize right now, at this very moment, THIS is the first page of your story!! Each day wake up and choose how your story is going to be told. Every day starts anew and gives you the opportunity to BE the person you want to become and to do something different with your life. Who do you wish to BE? Will this be the day that you try something NEW?? Which leads me to…
2. TRY SOMETHING THAT YOU’VE NEVER TRIED BEFORE!! Whether it is driving to another part of town that you have never visited before or when you visit your favorite restaurant, order a new dish other than your usual and allow the new flavors tickle and delight your taste buds. Learn to step out of your comfort zone! Your comfort zone is just that, you feel comfortable.
But where are the “growing pains?” You can never be who you want to be and live the LIFE that you want to live by staying within that zone. What can you do today that will make you feel scared, but excited at the same time? (pssst, by the way, if something both scares and excites you, you might want to go that route.)
3. SLOW DOWN!!! Take the time to actually taste your food instead of shoving it down your throat. Savor it! Take the time to BREATHE!!! Have a seat and drink a nice, hot cup of herbal tea or coffee and enjoy a sunrise.
Or pick up a spicy, romantic novel from your local bookstore and allow your imagination to roam wild at the peak of the plot. Whatever it may be, slow down long enough to see that this whole time…you were actually traveling at high-speed. Where has your life gone? Living your life is all about slowing down and living in the NOW!!
4. Stop seeking approval! Now this one is a biggie. When we were kids, we wanted to do our very best to have our parents/guardians to approve of us and to let us know that we were “good little girls and boys.” We also had to ask for permission to do things or to go to certain places. Most of us have carried this into our adulthood. Well, NO MORE!! This is your life and you do not need to seek approval or ask permission to do what it is that you desire.
If suddenly you want to change your hairstyle, length and color, like you’ve been wanting to do for YEARS…DO IT!! If you suddenly decide that it is time to let go of the tomboy look and embrace your feminine side, get glammed up, Lady! If you want to pack a bag and head off into the mountains to gain a newer perspective of what is going on in your life…what are you waiting for, a permission slip? If you are, then sign it yourself and go up that mountain.
5. What brings you pleasure? Adding more Life to your life can be as simple as adding more pleasure to it and putting it at the top of your priority list. Take a nice, long bath…complete with candles, soft music, and maybe a glass of wine while you relax in the warm waters. It not only cleanses your body, but your mind and soul as well.
Or take a casual stroll through a botanical garden and delight in the sweet smells of nature’s perfume. These are just two of my favorite guilty pleasures. What can you add to your list of ways to treat yourself and bring more pleasure back into your life?
6. Learn to start having fun! You’ve heard it many times before, “All work and no play…” When was the last time you had so much fun that you wished the night would never end. Sad, but true, most of us have forgotten how to just…PLAY!
Spend time with children or kittens and puppies, they are the masters of playing and having fun. Go have a girls’ night out with a glass of wine while channeling your inner Picasso at places like Painting with a Twist. DANCE!!! Take a weekend getaway without any making any plans or to make it an adventure, toss a coin and see which direction you will take.
7. Have an Attitude of Gratitude. We only have one life to live, but we get the chance to get it right and do things differently each and every day. For that, a sense of gratitude should flow from the depths of our beings. I’m talking about feeling it so strongly that tears start to well up in your eyes and the world starts to look that much brighter.
When we continuously come from a place of gratitude, our lives start to improve because we no longer take it or the ones we love for granted. We start to feel BLESSED and that makes life worth living.
8. Steer clear of the DRAMA! If you are finding yourself wanting to cut toxic people and/or environments out of your life, you are NOT being selfish!! Know that now. There are just some people who refuse to wake up and realize that they are the ones responsible for the mess that they are creating in their lives.
They don’t want to know what it feels like to go through one day without complaining or feeling miserable. They love it there. So, it is up to you to love them from afar, pack up, and get out of there.
YOU want peace and serenity in your life and you deserve to be around people who will be there to lift you up and not tear you down.
9. Take care of YOURSELF. To add more Life to your life, what are some of the vices that are doing more harm than good to your precious body? If you are a smoker, cut back until you completely quit, if you feel that you can’t go cold turkey.
If you are a drinker, do you really need over a bottle or two a day?
(Confession time: I love my drinks, I will admit it, but I know my limits.)
Do you really need to eat out again and get a burger from McDonald’s five nights in a row?
When was the last time you got off of the couch to move your body, instead of watching one of Shaun T’s BeachBody infomercials?
The point is, if your take good care of your body, you can add more LIFE to your Life…literally.
10. Help others learn to add more LIFE to their lives! I am a firm believer in the fact that we are all in this together! When we help/give to others, we are actually giving to ourselves in the process.
Have you ever done such a great deed for someone? In that very moment that they thanked you for what you did, how did that make you feel? Awesome feeling wasn’t it? Regardless of what some people may think, believe, or say…we were put on this earth to serve others. I love helping others. It has been in my blood from the time I was a little girl.
If I see someone hungry, I have to feed them. If I see someone crying, I get an urge to console them and make them laugh. Not everyone can do this. You must possess the heart of a servant, which is a person who LOVES PEOPLE so much so, that they get a sense of joy just from serving/giving.
“Help others achieve their dreams, and you will achieve yours!” ~Les Brown
Now that it is 2015, how are YOU planning to add more LIFE to your life? Share with me and our community in the comments below.
Here’s to you, here’s to me…HERE’S TO US!
Categories: Some Real Talk